Monday, May 30, 2011

Summer sports

Today I was outside playing basketball, even though I might be the worst basketball player in the world seriously sometimes I still dribble with two hands, but it got me thinking about summer activitys. While lifting is my favorite sport, if you can really call it a sport, but isn't the only thing to do during summer that is good exercise so here re some fun activities I can supplement my lifting with. Most of these are good cardiovascular workouts so they will help with fat loss. Also here is the calorie calculator that I used to find out how many calories are burned in a specific amount of time.

Basketball - As I mentioned earlier I'm not very good so I don't play very often but today I was just shooting around for a little and burned around 185 calories in about a half hour. So while it's not my favorite sport it is still a very good option if other people are in the mood.

Biking - This is more as a mode of transportation but is still a good workout. As a kid I would bike everywhere to get around in the summer so biking is lot's of fun and a great way to get from point A to point B if they aren't too far away. A half hour of moderate intensity biking at 12-14 MPH will burn about 340 calories.

Volleyball - Is another really fun game to play over the summer. My good friend Sarah has a net up at her house so over summer we play quite a bit. A half hour of volleyball burns 140 calories, not bad for punching a ball over a net.

Swimming - Swimming is my favorite summer activity because it is so much fun and I live in a place with a bunch of really nice public places to go, and I'm always at Sarah's house and she has a pool so we all awim up there also. A half hour of moderate swimming burns about 250 calories.

Also over summer I plan on working at Brooktondale summer camp which means I have to chase kids around all day and not make too many of them cry (I made one kid cry twice last year. He though I would just sit back and let him hurl insults at me, oh no I went right back at him.) but that takes a lot of energy and is a mini workout. So this summer is shaping up to be great with lots of good times and lots of working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment